Important Reminders Prior to E-filing Your Return
Whether you use an off the shelf tax software or render the services of a tax professional, these tips will help you avoid refund delays and a possible audit.
- Review the first page of the return to ensure the proper spelling of your name, address and social security number. A typo in your social security number and name may result in the rejection of your return.
- Verify the income figures on page 1 of the return against your Form W-2, 1099-MISC, K-1s, Form 1099-DIV, Form 1099-B and 1099-INT.
- Double check the accuracy of your bank account where your refund will be deposited or where your payment will be debited from. An inaccurate bank account number can result in refund delays expanding at least eight weeks!
- If you itemized or have a Schedule A, review the mortgage interest and property tax deductions against Form 1098 Mortgage Interest Statement. While reviewing the Schedule A, remember to verify the accuracy of your charitable donations.
- Keep an electronic copy of estimated tax payments made throughout the year. The IRS will not provide a summary of estimated tax payments at the end of the year. However, this information is critical in determining your final refund or liability.
- Prior to filing, verify the withholding amount reported on your W2 against “line 64 Federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 and 1099”. If there are modifications to the 1040 series forms, review the “Payments” section and find the heading titled “Federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 and 1099.”
Remember, you are signing or authorizing the e-filing of your return “Under penalties of perjury”. Therefore, Review all the forms and information. It’s not unusual to find a mistake or two. Take the time to perform a thorough examination.
About the Author: Riolene Ibok, CPA is the President of Accounting & Tax Advisory Group PC. She is a licensed CPA in the State of Georgia and holds a MBA from Georgia State University. Riolene specializes in tax, accounting, consulting and audit services for individuals and small businesses. You can contact Riolene at firstname.lastname@example.org.